Student visa information for the UK
Full immersion language courses Séjours linguistiques en immersion totale Soggiorni linguistici full immersion Diese Website auf Deutsch anzeigen This site in Russian This site in Spanish

Student Visitor visa

For full details on student visas please see For information on child visitors for shorts stays in the UK click here - for stays of more than 28 days click here.

1. Overview 2. Eligibility 3. Documents you must provide 4. Apply 5. Minors

1. Overview

You can apply for a Student Visitor visa if:
  • you're doing a short course of study in the UK
  • you're from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements

You need a Business Visitor visa if you're an academic visitor.

You can't apply if you qualify for British citizenship - including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.

What you can and can't do

You can:

  • do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course

You can't:

  • study at a state school
  • work or carry out any business
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or a civil partnership
  • come to the UK specifically for private medical treatment
  • extend this visa
  • bring family members ('dependants') with you - they must apply separately
  • get public funds

How long you can stay

You can stay in the UK for:

  • 6 months - for any short course including English language courses
  • 11 months - an extended visa for English language courses only


It costs:
  • £83 for a 6 month standard visa
  • £150 for an 11 month extended visa

How long it takes

You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you're applying from.